Department of Physics,
Southern University of Science and Technology, Shenzhen, China, 518055
2018 – Present: Associate Professor, Department of Physics, Southern University of Science and Technology, Shenzhen, China
2013 – 2018: Research Associate Faculty, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Institute, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO (Cooperation advisor: Prof. Alex Zunger)
2012 – 2013: Postdoctoral fellow, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL (Cooperation advisor: Prof. Arthur J. Freeman)
2007 – 2012: Ph. D. in Condensed Matter Physics, State Key Laboratory of Mesoscopic Physics and Department of Physics, Peking University, Beijing, China
2003 – 2007: Bachelor of Science, Department of Physics, Peking University, Beijing, China
Qihang Liu, Associate Professor at the Department of Physics, SUSTC. Prof. Liu’s research interest is theoretical condensed matter physics and computational materials science, special focus is on novel physical properties induced by spin-orbit coupling, topological insulators, strong correlation physics, electronic and structural properties of crystals, surfaces, and interfaces, low-dimensional systems and nano-materials, and electron transport through nanostructures. Prof. Liu has published more than 30 peer-reviewed journal articles including Nat. Phys., PRX, PRL, PRB, Nano Lett., Adv. Func. Mater., and has received more than 2200 citations based on Google Scholar.
Theoretical condensed matter physics and computational materials science:
• Novel physics induced by spin-orbit coupling, such as topological insulators, spin splittings (Rashba-type and Dresselhaus-type) and related electronic or optical properties.
• Atomic and electronic structure of crystals, defects, molecules and low-dimensional nanostructures, such as interfaces, heterostructures, graphene, silicene, carbon nanotube and transition-metal dichalcogenides.
• Novel electronic device simulation in nanoelectronics and spintronics, such as (spin-) field effect transistor, negative differential resistance, spin-filter, spin-valve, etc.
• X. Wu†, J. Li†, X. Ma†, Y. Zhang†, Y. Liu, C. Zhou, J. Shao, Q. Wang, Y. Hao, Y. Feng, E. F. Schwier, S. Kumar, H. Sun, P. Liu, K. Shimada, K. Miyamoto, T. Okuda, K. Wang, M. Xie, C. Chen, Q. Liu*, C. Liu*, Y. Zhao* , Distinct Topological Surface States on the Two Terminations of MnBi4Te7, Phys. Rev. X 10, 031013 (2020)
• C. Hu, K. N. Gordon, P. Liu, J. Liu, X. Zhou, P. Hao, D. Narayan, E. Emmanouilidou, H. Sun, Y. Liu, H. Brawer, A. P. Ramirez, L. Ding, H. Cao, Q. Liu*, D. Dessau*, N. Ni*,
A van der Waals antiferromagnetic topological insulator with weak interlayer magnetic coupling, Nat. Commun. 11, 97 (2020)
• Y. Hao†, P. Liu†, Y. Feng†, X. Ma, E. F. Schwier, M. Arita, S. Kumar, C. Hu, R. Lu, M. Zeng, Y. Wang, Z. Hao, H. Sun, K. Zhang, J. Mei, N. Ni, L. Wu, K. Shimada, C. Chen*, Q. Liu*, C. Liu*, Gapless surface Dirac cone in antiferromagnetic topological insulator MnBi2Te4, Phys. Rev. X 9, 041038 (2019)
• H. Sun†, B. Xia†, Z. Chen†, Y. Zhang, P. Liu, Q. Yao, H. Tang, Y. Zhao, H. Xu, Q. Liu*, Rational design principles of quantum anomalous Hall effect from superlatticelike magnetic topological insulators, Phys. Rev. Lett. 123, 096401 (2019)
• Z. Wang*, T. Zhou, T. Jiang, H. Sun, Y. Zang, Y. Gong, J. Zhang, M. Tong, X. Xie, Q. Liu*, C. Chen*, K. He, Q. Xue, Dimensional crossover and topological nature of the thin films of a three-dimensional topological insulator by band gap engineering, Nano Lett. 19, 4627 (2019)
• Q. Liu*, G. Dalpian and A. Zunger*, Anti-doping in Insulators and Semiconductors having Intermediate Bands with Trapped Carriers, Phys. Rev. Lett. 122, 106403 (2019)
• L. Yuan†, Q. Liu†, X. Zhang, J.-W. Luo*, S. Li, and A. Zunger*, Uncovering and tailoring hidden Rashba spin-orbit splitting in centrosymmetric crystals, Nat. Commun. 10, 906 (2019)
• Q. Liu*, Q. Yao, Z. Kelly, C. Pasco, T. McQueen, S. Lany and A. Zunger, Electron Doping of Proposed Kagome Quantum Spin Liquid Produces Localized States in the Band Gap, Phys. Rev. Lett. 121, 186402 (2018).
• J. Zheng, G. Teng, J. Yang, M. Xu, Q. Yao, Z. Zhuo, W. Yang, Q. Liu* and F. Pan, Mechanism of Exact Transition Between Cationic and Anionic Redox Activities in Cathode Material Li2FeSiO4, J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 9, 6262 (2018).
• X. Zhang†, Q. Liu†, Q. Xu†, X. Dai and A. Zunger, Topological insulators vs. topological Dirac semimetals in honeycomb compounds,J. Am. Chem. Soc. 140, 13687 (2018).
• X. Zhang*, L. B. Abdalla, Q. Liu* and A. Zunger*, “Enabling electronic motif for topological insulation in ABO3 perovskites and its structural stability”, Adv. Func. Mater. 27, 1701266 (2017).
• Q. Liu* and A. Zunger, Predicted Realization of Cubic Dirac Fermion in Quasi-One-Dimensional Transition-Metal Mono-Chalcogenides, Phys. Rev. X 7, 021019 (2017).
• Q. Liu*, X. Zhang and A. Zunger. Transforming common III-V and II-VI semiconductor compounds into topological heterostructures: The case of CdTe/InSb superlattices, Adv. Func. Mater. 26, 3259 (2016).
• Q. Liu*, X. Zhang and A. Zunger, Intrinsic circular polarization in centrosymmetric stacks of transition-metal dichalcogenides, Phys. Rev. Lett. 114,087402 (2015).
• Q. Liu*, X. Zhang, L. B. Abdalla, A. Fazzio and A. Zunger, Switching a Normal Insulator into a Topological Insulator via Electric Field with Application to Phosphorene, Nano Lett. 15, 1222 (2015).
• X. Zhang†, Q. Liu†, J.-W. Luo, A. J. Freeman, A. Zunger, Hidden spin polarization in inversion-symmetric bulk crystals, Nat. Phys. 10, 387 (2014).
• Q. Liu*, Y. Guo, A. J. Freeman, Tunable Rashba Effect in Two-dimensional LaOBiS2 Films: Ultra-thin Candidates for Spin Field Effect Transistors, Nano Lett. 13, 5264 (2013).
† Co-first author
* Corresponding author.
For a full list of publications please visit the Google Scholar site.